Being seriously injured a car accident in Houston can be a frightening and confusing time for everyone involved. How will you pay the bills? What happens to your job? How will you support your family if there’s no income coming in? All these questions are probably going through your mind after your accident. That’s why time is of the essence. It’s important to speak with a qualified Houston car accident lawyer to figure out what your next steps should be.
Our Houston car accident attorney at de Lachica Law Firm, PLLC, has been helping car accident victims throughout Texas. No matter whether you’re at fault or someone else is to blame, car accident lawyer Erica de Lachica can help you win your case.
Car Accidents are Rising
Recent data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration shows fatal car accidents in the United States have drastically increased in the past few years. For example, the NHTSA found that there was an increase of 10.4 percent over the number of fatalities in the first half of 2015, a trend that didn’t look like it was going to slow down in the second half of 2016. In 2015, it was the first major increase in traffic fatalities in five decades and many of the causes could have been prevented a death.
According to the state of Texas, there were 13,616 serious injuries and 246,335 injured in car wrecks throughout the state in 2015. On average, one person was killed in a car accident every 2 hours and 29 minutes in 2015. At least one reportable crash had occurred every 61 seconds in 2015.
The most common causes of traffic collisions
- Poor vehicle maintenance – Cars are delicate machines and should be treated as such. When they are abused or neglected, it can lead to dangerous motor vehicle accidents. Car owners must properly monitor tire pressure, get regular checkups, etc. to prevent serious traffic collisions from occurring.
- Reckless driving/road rage – Emotional distress while driving does not excuse drivers who fail to maintain their control. Aggressive driving can manifest into unsafe driving tactics, such as tailgating, excessive lane changes, and speeding.
- Drunk driving – It is no surprise to learn that drunk driving is a hazard to anyone who is on the road. When a driver gets behind the wheel while impaired, abilities such as reaction time, staying focused on the road, and just being alert for any hazards has decreased.
- Unsafe roadways – In some cases, when the state fails to take care of the highways, it can lead to unsafe driving conditions. Ignored potholes, roads with limited visibility, and failure to post proper traffic signs can all contribute to serious traffic collisions.
- Distracted drivers – With the increasing use of cell phones and other handheld devices, distracted driving is becoming one of the leading causes of car accidents today. A driver taking his/her eyes off the road, even for a second, can lead to a dangerous situation.
- Defective equipment/design failure – Some accidents can be attributed to the equipment of the vehicle itself — even if you’re driving the car properly. For example, when your tires keep losing air because of a defect, your car accident is the result of the design or manufacturing of the vehicle.
- Drowsy Driving – On long stretches of road, it is not a surprise that some drivers on the road are fatigued. While this is uncomfortable, it is also important to remember that it is dangerous. Tired drivers can nod off and become serious hazards to people around them.
What to Do After Your Houston Car Accident
After a car accident, your mind may be riddled with questions such as, “How will I pay the medical expenses?” or “Will my insurance cover the property damage?” You can find answers to these questions by enlisting the help of the Houston car accident lawyer at de Lachica Law Firm, PLLC. We have the ability to evaluate your case, help you file a claim, and make sure you don’t get cut short of your deserved compensation.
After a car crash, the first thing you need to remember is to stay calm. It is important to remain at the scene until law enforcement arrives on the scene. If you are able to get out of your vehicle and speak with the other driver, make sure you collect information as much information as you can such as name, phone number, license plate number, and insurance information. Also, take note of the road conditions at the time of the accident, as well as how many people were traveling in each vehicle. You may also want to take photos of the accident scene and try to get any contact information from available witnesses.
It is also highly important that you watch what you say immediately following a collision. Avoid admitting any liability at all costs. Your next step after receiving medical treatment is contacting a car accident attorney as soon as you can. A Houston car accident lawyer can advise you on what to say, when to file, and what information to use so that you get the maximum compensation possible.
Car accidents can leave victims with medical expenses, continued rehabilitation costs, and lost wages. Victims may also suffer from emotional injuries, such as posttraumatic stress disorder. The insurance company may not readily compensate you for these types of injuries. This is why it is beneficial to speak with us.
Contact a Houston Car Accident Lawyer Today!
If you have been involved in a car crash anywhere in Texas, it is in your best interests to hire a personal injury law firm as soon as possible. At de Lachica Law Firm, our Texas car accident attorneys know how damaging car accidents can be; they are unwaveringly committed to ensuring that their clients receive the high-quality representation they need to protect their legal rights. Should you choose to work with their car accident lawyers, you can be confident in their ability to be aggressive when need be and still compassionate to your suffering.
De Lachica Law Firm is here to help you! So don’t wait, give them a call today or fill out their online form.